Summer in Swedish Lapland
TRAVEL PERIOD: SUMMER
Summer in Swedish Lapland
Enjoy the highlights of Sweden’s capital!
Day 1: Arrival in Stockholm
Welcome to Stockholm – Capital of Scandinavia! Upon arrival you will be transferred by private bus to the city center. As Stockholm unfolds before your eyes you will no doubt be amazed of its beauty.
Overnight in Stockholm.
- Day 2: Stockholm – Luleå (night train) After a hearty breakfast at the hotel follows a 3-hour tour by bus and guide, including a guided visit of the Vasa Museum – Stockholm’s top attraction. Enjoy some free time before a short transfer takes you to the central station to board your overnight train to Lapland and the North. Overnight onboard night train (2-bedded compartment).
- Day 3: Luleå – Jokkmokk Early morning arrival in Luleå – the gateway to Swedish Lapland, located just south of the Arctic Circle on the Bay of Bothnia. Step out and breathe the fresh air – your local bus awaits you at the station to take you to a delightful breakfast buffet served in a local hotel. Then it is time to visit the Church Village of Gammelstad, a UNESCO world heritage site located just outside Luleå. Next stop on your agenda is the village of Älvsbyn with Storforsen – the mighty waterfall is one of the largest in Europe. Afterwards continue to Harads to see what must be one of the most peculiar hotels – the Tree Hotel, different cabins from where you have a bird’s eye view! A short drive further you will land in Jokkmokk – your destination stay for the night.
- Day 4: Jokkmokk – Kiruna After breakfast, we visit Ájtte Museum – the Swedish Mountain and Sami Museum. Here, you will learn the story of Sápmi, the land and the people, of life and survival in a demanding climate and environment. It is a story set in the wetlands, forests and mountains. In the afternoon, continue to Laponia, a UNESCO world heritage area consisting of four national parks, for a taste of the wild nature of the north. If fitting with the schedule, you can make a short boat trip to Saltoluokta on the other side of the river to admire the view (optional). Next you will head to Kiruna, the northernmost city of Sweden. Overnight in Kiruna.
- Day 5: Kiruna – Abisko/Björkliden This day starts with a strengthening Scandinavian breakfast. In Kiruna a lot revolves around the mine, so much that it is reason enough to move the whole town. Come along to the world’s biggest underground iron-ore mine, where a coach will take you direct from the Tourist Office into the mountain and down to the show mine at level 540 meters. In the afternoon the journey continues up north to Abisko. This national park in Swedish Lapland is an excellent place to enjoy the fantastic light summer nights. A 20-minute chairlift ride will take you up the mountain peak Nuolja, with a beautiful view over the valley and mountains from the sky station. Here you also have possibility to enjoy an exclusive 3-course Nordic dinner and guided tour under the midnight sun (optional). Overnight in Björkliden
Day 7: Abisko/Björkliden – Jukkasjärvi – Kiruna
Today you will visit the village of Jukkasjärvi, where the world’s first hotel made of ice and snow is located. Founded in 1989, it is reborn in a new guise every winter. The new ICEHOTEL 365 can be visited year-round, so you will enjoy a guided tour of the hotel and a drink in the icebar. (Overnight at ICEHOTEL in ice room or warm accommodation possible as add-on.)
After your cool experience you are welcomed as a guest in a sami camp, where you visit the reindeer and get to know more about the Sámi people. Round off your visit by savouring a Sámi meal whilst sitting around a crackling open fire to get a real taste of the area.
Overnight in Kiruna (or accommodation in Icehotel as add-on).
- Day 4: Departure After breakfast you check out of your hotel. Your bus transfer will take you to the airport from where you will leave Sweden with great memories.
• 5 x overnight in double rooms
• 1 x overnight on night train in 2-bedded compartment
• 6 x breakfast buffet
Transport & Transfers
• All bus and transfer services
Excursions & Activities
• 1 x half-day tour of Stockholm, incl. entrance to Vasa Museum
• 1 x Guided tour of Gammelstad Churchtown
• 1 x Guided tour of Treehotel
• 1 x Entrance Ájtte Sami Museum
• 1 x Guided tour to Kiruna mine
• 1 x Aurora Sky Station chairlift
• 1 x Guided tour in ICEHOTEL, incl. 1 drink in the Icebar
• 1 x Visit to Sami Camp, incl. light meal
One person free of charge from fifteen paying persons.