TRAVEL PERIOD: ALL YEAR
See the highlights of West Iceland. Reykjavik – Golden Circle – Snaefellsnes – Breidarfjördur Bay – Westfjords – Borgarfjördur.
- Day 1: Arrival in Iceland Your Bus and travel Guide will welcome you at the airport and take you to a city tour through Reykjavik, where you will see the most important attractions of the city, such as the presidents’ residence in Bessastaðir and the Höfði-house, the scene of the meeting between Ronald Raegan and Mikhail Gorbachev. Walk through the old city and have a look at the parliament, the town hall and the cathedral Hallgrimskirkja. Overnight in Reykjavik.
- Day 2: Golden Circle Today you will follow the golden circle, the famous route, that connects Iceland’s main attractions. In the Thingvellir National Park, foundation place of the first parliament, you can walk between the continental records drifting apart. Visit the “Golden Waterfall” Gullfoss and be astonished, while the Geysir Strokkur shoots at regular intervals upwards. Here you have the possibility, to try fresh bread, baked on the hot surface of the earth with eggs and herring (surcharge). Overnight stay in Borgarnes.
- Day 3: Snaefellsnes Next Stop is Snaefellsnes on the west coast – at the head of this peninsula the Glacier Snaefellsjökull is located. Follow the tracks of Jules Vernes to the centre of the earth and dive into the lava cave at the foot of the glacier. Along the coast you will find many interesting lava rock formations and maybe recognize one popular film location in the mountain Kirkjufell.
- Day 4: Breidarfjördur Bay The Baldur ferry will take you along the Breidarfjördur-Bay, past the little island Flatey with its rich bird’s life. With some luck you will glance some whales on their way to the western fjords. Along the coast, past the red-sand beach Látrabjarg, you will reach Iceland’s’ most west point, the Látrabjarg-Cliffs, that a lot of puffins use as a nesting place.
- Day 5: Westfjords The winding paths through the Westfjords entails peaceful fjords and reveals impressive views behind every curve. Travel along the traces of the Gisla-Saga and admire the powerful waterfall Dynjandi. We recommend trying a fresh waffle in the picturesque village of Þingeyri.
- Day 6: Borgafjördur Past the spectacular ravine Valagil you will continue your journey along narrow fjords and through small villages. On the east side of the western fjords the sorcery museum in Hólmavík invites you for a curious stopover. You will leave the Westfjords and travel inland to the region of Borgarfjördur, which hot springs supply the capital. Meltwater from the Langjökull- Glacier rinses through the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls. Relax in one of the rural located hotels with a view over the valley.
- Day 7: Departure On your way back to the airport of Keflavik you have the possibility, to hike to one of Iceland’s highest waterfalls – Glymur – and to visit the volcano crater of the Reykjanes- peninsula. Or how would you like a relaxing bath in the Blue Lagoon (optional)? It is said that the mineral-blue water has a curative effect.
• 6x overnights in DBL rooms with shower/toilet
• 6x Breakfast Buffet in hotels
Transport & Transfers
• Bus Service incl. Driver
• Ferry passage for all passengers and bus
Excursions & Activities
• English-speaking travel guide
• Cost & Lodgings for Travel Guide and Bus Driver
• Entrance Lava Cave
• Entrance in sorcery museum Hólmavík
One person free of charge from fifteen paying persons.