The Unique North
TRAVEL PERIOD: ALL YEAR
The Unique North
Stockholm – Blue Lagoon – Golden Circle – Skaftafell National Park – Westman Islands – Bergen – Geiranger and Trollstigen – Flåm – Oslo
- Day 1: Stockholm Welcome to the North! The first stop on your tour is Stockholm – a city situated on islands between two beautiful water sceneries – the Baltic Sea and the Lake Mälaren. Upon arrival at the airport, a private transfer will take you to your centrally located hotel.
- Day 2: Stockholm Today you have the whole day to discover Stockholm. We recommend a guided tour showing you the Swedish capital from different angles while telling you the story of the city. A must see is the lovely Old Town, with narrow cobblestone alleys, the cathedral Storkyrkan, and the Royal Palace. Highly recommendable is also a relaxing boat tour towards the 24’000 islands of the archipelago.
- Day 3: Flight to Iceland After a delicious breakfast, your transfer bus arrives to take you to the airport and your flight to Iceland (own arrangement). At the airport in Keflavik you are greeted by your bus and local guide for the coming days. Overnight in Selfoss.
- Day 4: Thingvellir and Geyser Today you drive the Golden Circle to experience some of Iceland’s most important sights. First stop is Thingvellir National Park, where the first parliament was held, and where the continental drift of the European and the American tectonic plates becomes visible. Next onto the area of the geysers, where you can watch Strokkur shoot hot water up to 20 meters into the air. The last highlight of the tour is the magnificent Gullfoss waterfall. Overnight in Hvolsvöllur.
- Day 5: Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón Today your journey takes you through southern Iceland, where you can walk behind a wall of water at Seljalandsfoss waterfall, stroll on a black beach at Reynisfjara. A highlight is the glacier lagoon Jökulsárlón, where icebergs break off from the glacier and slowly drift towards the sea. Here, a boat will take you on an unforgettable excursion amongst the icebergs in this unique environment.
- Day 6: Westman Islands From the harbour in Landeyjahöfn you board the ferry for an excursion to the Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands), a group of volcanic islands located off the south coast of Iceland. Most of the islands have steep sea cliffs and are well-known for their rich populations of puffins and other sea birds. In the afternoon, you return to the mainland.
- Day 7: Reykjavik Today you head back west, to Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital and cultural centre. On your tour of the city, you cannot miss the dramatic church Hallgrimskirkja, one of its major landmarks. During the afternoon you have the opportunity to take part in a whale watching tour (not included).
- Day 8: Blue Lagoon Start the day by visiting one of the most famous bathing resorts of Europe – the Blue Lagoon. Take a good long break and enjoy the glistening blue, warm waters. Thoroughly relaxed, you return to Reykjavik where the afternoon is spent at leisure, giving you time to explore the offerings of the Icelandic capital.
- Day 9: Flight to Bergen In the morning you leave to the airport for your flight to Bergen in Norway (own arrangement). Bergen is scenically surrounded by mountains and fjords, and you must not miss a stroll through the old alleys to admire the small wooden houses and feel the atmosphere of the historic Hanseatic Bryggen Harbour.
- Day 10: Flåm Railway – Balestrand Today you set of with a private coach towards Voss, where you change to the train for a different view of the Norwegian mountain landscape. In Myrdal you change to the famous Flåm Railway. On the scenic journey to the village of Flåm you will experience beautiful nature with snow-covered peaks and the valley with its river, waterfalls, and small mountain farms. From Flåm continue to Hella, and by ferry to Balestrand.
- Day 11: Balestrand The following day is at leisure. Enjoy Balestrand, a picturesque village with a dream location on the Sognefjord.
- Day 12: Briksdalsbreen – Loen Today you continue your journey among the Norwegian fjords, with a scenic drive among fjords and mountains towards Loen. You might also consider making a tour to Briksdalsbreen, an arm of the great Jostedalsbreen Glacier.
- Day 13: Geiranger After breakfast you continue to Hellesylt, where you board the ferry to Geiranger. The ferry cruises along the Geirangerfjord, considered to be amongst the most beautiful landscapes of the world. Make sure not to miss the breath-taking view of the surrounding mountains and fjord from nearby Mt. Dalsnibba, one of the highest peaks you can experience by car in Norway.
- Day 14: Eagle Road and Trollstigen In the morning, you leave Geiranger by the Eagle Road, with a stop at Ørnesvingen, from where you have the famous view over the Geirangerfjord and the waterfall “Syv Søstre”. Another highlight of the day is the spectacular Trollstigen Road, with its many narrows bends and amazing views of the valley and waterfall Stigfossen. Overnight in Otta.
- Day 15: Oslo Heading south you will travel through Norwegian valley landscapes and reach Oslo late in the afternoon.
- Day 16: Oslo Enjoy Oslo at your own leisure.
- Day 17: Departure On day 17, transfer to the airport, from where you will start your journey home, taking many beautiful new memories with you.
• 16 x overnight stay in double rooms with private facilities
• 16 x Breakfast buffet
Transport & Transfers
• All ferry-crossings according to program
Excursions & Activities
• Cruise on Geiranger Fjord Hellesylt – Geiranger
• Train Voss – Myrdal – Flåm (Bergen Railway and Flåm Railway)
• Entrance Blue Lagoon
• Boat trip Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
One person free of charge from fifteen paying persons.