Sense of Ruka
TRAVEL PERIOD: 01.12.23 -31.03.24
Sense of Ruka
Ruka is Finland’s playground! The destination offers adventure, ski and nature. It is in our opinion one of the best places to visit in the North of Finland. Skiing is a very popular sport here, and the area boasts 39 slopes and 240km of snow tracks. There is a selection of excursions, including snowmobiles, huskies and Aurora tours. You will be spoilt for choice in this winter paradise! Our selected resort is located close to the airport and to the slopes, and a variety of excursions are possible from the property. During the winter, a ski bus operates once an hour from the property. To top it off, you will be away from the crowds in the openness of nature. Come out to play, and welcome to Ruka.
- Day 1: On arrival you will have a transfer from the airport to Ruka Salonki, the resort is located approximately 25 minutes away. Ruka Salonki is located by a beautiful lake, with accommodation varying from villas to log chalets. We have included the Veskaranta sky view villas. The two-story apartments on the shore of the lake are filled with a warm atmosphere. Upstairs bedrooms come with skylights that offer a view of the Northern sky. Downstairs offers a spacious area comprising a living room, kitchen, and fireplace. Dinner in the main restaurant is included tonight. Overnight.
- Day 2 Breakfast is served in the main restaurant. We all know that Santa lives in the North of Finland, and today we have planned a very special day full of fun at Santa’s cottage. Spend a joyful day with Santa Claus, Mrs Claus and the elves. The cottage is located a 30-minute drive away and includes a snack of grilled sausages and hot juice. Approximate duration of this excursion is 4 hrs. Return to your villa and some time at leisure. Dinner on your own arrangement. Late night is the best time to see the Northern lights, tonight try your luck as you drive to the best spots in a luxurious Aurora wagon. Snacks are served around a fire, and hopefully underneath the Northern lights. Return to the resort and overnight.
- Day 3 Breakfast is served in the main restaurant. This morning, you will drive to a husky camp, where you will be greeted by enthusiastic huskies. This small-scale husky camp is located in a forest, and the trails offer a wonderful experience as you drive your own team of dogs. The team carries two persons, one musher, and one passenger – you are welcome to change places during the safari. 10km husky safari. Return to the resort, and time at leisure. Dinner under own arrangement. This evening set out for some more adventure! After meeting your guide and hearing the safety instructions, set out on your snowmobile driving on forest tracks, marvel at the Northern sky, and hopefully the aurora will also make a magical appearance! Hot drinks and light snacks are included en-route. Snowmobile safari 20km. Return to the resort and overnight.
- Day 4 Breakfast is served in the main restaurant. Today is at leisure, perhaps you want to try the many ski options located at Ruka ski resort. The ski bus departs every hour and takes less than 10 minutes each way.
- Day 5 Breakfast is served in the main restaurant. This morning, meet more Nordic animals. The reindeer plays an important role in Finland, and herding has long traditions and is a lifestyle as much as a livelihood. Today you will have the chance to experience an old mode of travelling, by reindeer sleight. Snacks will be served around a campfire of the Kammi shelter. After your excursion return to the resort, time at leisure. Perhaps another afternoon of skiing is on the cards? Overnight.
- Day 6 After breakfast, depart by transfer to the airport. We hope you have had a memorable time in Ruka, and we are sure that you will be back.
• 5 nights’ accommodation in a Veskaranta sky view villa
• Breakfast daily
• Dinner on arrival night
Transport & Transfers
• Scheduled transfer from Kuusamo airport and return
• Day 2: Fun day at Santa Claus cottage, Aurora search by vehicle
• Day 3: Husky excursion (10km), Snowmobile excursion (20km)
• Day 5: Reindeer farm visit and short reindeer ride (2hrs)
Be sure to try an ice or and smoke sauna in the sauna world of Pyhapiilo.