TRAVEL PERIOD: ALL YEAR
Duration: 8 Days, 7 Nights
See the highlights of Iceland with this amazing guided tour. You tick off all the main sights and explore the rugged landscapes of the land of ice and fire.
- Day 1: Arrival in the area of Hveragerði Arrival in Keflavik at your own arrangement. The bus and the local tour guide, who will accompany you during your journey, are awaiting you at the airport. Over the peninsula Rejkanes you will drive in the direction of your hotel. If there is some time left, we recommend a stop at the famous Blue Lagoon (at extra charge).
- Day 2: Area Höfn Along the south coast you visit the waterfall Skógafoss and walk behind the Seljalandsfoss. You will admire wide sandy surfaces, award-winning beaches and the Cape Dyrhólaey, who’s so called “door hole” was formed by the Atlantic Ocean over a millennium. You will arrive in the southern village Vik, which is surrounded by steep cliffs on three sides and faces with the fourth side directly the ocean. It continues at the “Ring Road”, always with the view on Europe’s biggest glacier, the Vatnajökull.
- Day 3: Area Egilsstaðir Today’s morning is under the theme Skaftafell National Park. At the foot of the Vatnajökull glacier untouched nature, numerous hiking possibilities as well as a spectacular waterfall are awaiting you. When time allows, we suggest an amphibian boat trip on the glacier lagoon Jökulsarlon (at extra charge). Admire the in numerous colours glimmering, leisurely towards the ocean floating icebergs from close range.
- Day 4: Area Mývatn On this day you drive along nice mountain passes and wonderful fjords, to the east fjords, the oldest scenery part of Iceland. Today we suggest a visit to Petra’s mineral stone collection (not included). Petra collected over time and during her numerous journeys these extraordinary stones and shows them in a nice exhibition in her garden. Passing Egilsstaðir and through different plateaus you will reach Mývatn, a lake which is named after the swarms of midges who live there. Don’t worry, these chironomids belong to the family of non-biting midges. The lovely surroundings also keep a unique bird population.
- Day 5: Area Akureyri Freshly strengthened after breakfast you will drive to the Jökulsárgljúfur-Nationalpark, at whose borders the Dettifoss is located. At a width of 100 meters, 200’000 litres of water per second are rushing down into a depth of 40 meters. If you continue following the street, you will reach Ásbyrgi, a hoof-shaped canyon. Driving around the peninsular Tjörnes you soon reach Húsavík, Iceland’s whale watching spot number 1, with a spotting probability of 90% (Whale safari bookable at additional charge). Your today’s overnight stay is in Akureyri.
- Day 6: Area Borgarnes On today’s morning we suggest a visit of the museum courtyard Glaumbær (at extra charge). Here you can see clearly how in the past houses have been established with the “peat construction” method, which protected against hard weather conditions. Passing through the area which is famous for the breeding of the Iceland horses, you get to Reykholt, the former home of the famous poet Snorri Sturlusson.
- Day 7: Reykjavik Along the Hvalfjörður you start with the Thingvellir National Park, the first highlight of the Golden Circle. Once, the first parliament took place here. Furthermore, from here you can observe the continental drift of the European and American continental plate. You continue to the area of the world-famous geysers. At regular intervals you can watch how the Strokkur shoots up to a height of 20 meters. Last highlight on this tour is the Gullfoss, which colours golden with low standing sun. No longer far away you will reach Reykjavik. During the guided tour you learn more about the most northern located capital. Among others, you will see the Höfði House, the old town district and the Hallgrims Church.
- Day 8: Departure A transfer brings you back to the airport Keflavik, from where you will start your journey home, taking many beautiful new memories with you.
• 7 x Overnight stay in double rooms with private facilities
• 7 x Breakfast buffet
Transport & Transfers
• Bus incl. driver for the whole round trip from/to KEF Airport
• Board and lodging for tour guide and bus driver
One person free of charge from fifteen paying persons.