Hiking on Vesterålen
TRAVEL PERIOD: SUMMER
Duration: 6 Days – 5 Nights
Hiking on Vesterålen
Vesterålen is a place of contrasts, where the landscapes span from calm beaches, fishing villages and farmlands to rugged, alpine mountains, dramatic fjords and wilderness.
- Day 1: Arrival in Vesterålen Overnight in Sortland, where you will spend the next four nights.
- Day 2: Mount Vetten Today you will hike up Mount Vetten, a 467m high peak, which with good weather offers a view of the ocean and scenic islands in the west, and the wall of the Lofoten islands in the south. The hike goes up and down the same path, but for keen hikers it is also possible to make a longer tour and include a second peak.
- Day 3: Dronningruta One of the highlights on your tour is Dronningruta, a scenic route between Nyksund, a former fishing village, and Stø, an active fishing village. A marked trail will take you up and down a series of smaller mountains along the coastline, offering breath-taking views along the way. The name “Dronningruta”, meaning “the Queen’s Route” in Norwegian, came about after Queen Sonja of Norway trekked the route in 1994 and greatly enjoyed it.
- Day 4: Sami Farm In the morning you have the opportunity to visit a small Sami farm (additional charge) and meet the reindeer. Afterwards the guests will be invited into the Lavvo (Sami tent), where they learn more about the reindeers, the Sami and their culture and history. After lunch we suggest a pleasant and relaxing walk at the coast to recharge.
- Day 5: Lofoten Islands This day will give you an opportunity to explore the better-known neighbour of Vesterålen – the Lofoten Islands. Enjoy the dramatic natural scenery, learn more about the history and culture of the islands from your guide (additional charge), and make photo stops in some of the many picturesque fishing villages. Overnight in Harstad.
- Day 6: Departure Today it is time to leave the North. A transfer will take you to Harstad Airport, from where you start your homeward journey.
• 5x nights hotel accommodation with private facilities
• 5x breakfasts
• Meals as mentioned in the program
Transport & Transfers
• Bus service and transfers as mentioned in the itinerary
One person free of charge from fifteen paying persons.