TRAVEL PERIOD: 01.06-31.08.2023?
Welcome to an area of Norway fairly undiscovered, but of intense beauty: the region of Helgeland! The long coast of that region consists of a myriad of magnificent islands. On this tour you will see many wonders of nature – maelstroms, glaciers, unique mountain formations and lush nature to only mention a few. But you also pass local communities and meet the locals, and not to forget you will cross the Arctic Circle twice. Be ready for your personal coastal fairytale!
Arrival in Bodø according to your own itinerary. We recommend Bodø to be your pickup point for the car rental. The second largest city in Northern Norway is a modern town that is very important to Norway’s aviation history. A visit to the National Norwegian Aviation Museum is highly recommended. The town is surrounded by beautiful nature, including the Børvasstindene Mountains to the south and Landegode Island and the Lofoten Islands to the north. Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Bodø.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you will start your trip along the beautiful coast of Helgeland and two natural wonders will pave your way to Ørnes, your overnight place. First you will pass Saltstraumen – the world’s most powerful maelstrom. Every six hours, 400 million cubic meters of water rush through the 150-meter wide and three-kilometer-long sound at speeds of up to 20 knots (40 kilometers per hour). Next on the list is Svartisen Glacier. This Glacier is the second largest of Norway and reaches all the way down to the fjord. Enjoy the view of it from the road or get close yourself. There are regular shuttle boats from Meløy across the Holandsfjord from where you can walk to the glacier. (Not included) Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Ørnes.
Breakfast at the hotel and your coastal fairytale continues further South. Pass by white sandy beaches, lush mountains and crystal-clear water. On the way you will take three ferries (Forøy –Åaskgardet, Jektvik – Kilboghamn and Nesna – Levang, not included) and pass the Arctic Circle. Look for the metal globe in the sea. Spend your day leisurely, stop where you like and enjoy small hikes or even a swim. In the evening you reach Sandnessjøen – also called the gateway to the Helgeland coast. Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Sandnessjøen.
- Day 4 Breakfast at the hotel. Today your choices are plenty. Probably the best know attraction in the area is the seven Sister Mountains which even her Majesty Queen Sonja has hiked many times. If you are looking for a more cultural experience, we recommend a visit to Petter Dasz Museum, which consists of several buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. It also boasts the spectacular museum building opened in 2007 and designed by the famous architects ‘Snøhetta’. Right next to the museum, you will find Alstahaug Church, built in the 12th and 13th centuries using locally quarried soapstone. The church is Romanesque in style and is one of seven medieval churches that have been preserved in Northern Norway. What is Norway without its Vikings? Just outside the center of Sandnessjøen is the Viking chieftain’s house at Sandnes. In the banqueting hall in the longhouse, you can taste Viking food and experience authentic Viking history. A day packed with adventures is waiting for you! Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Sandnessjøen.
- Day 5 Breakfast at the hotel. Reach the Southernmost point of your trip today. The city of Brønnøysund with some highlights surrounding it. On the way take a ferry from Tjøtta to Forvik (not included) and a second one from Anddalsvåg to Horn (not included) before reaching the coastal town in the middle of Norway, Brønnøysund. An absolute must is a visit to Torghatten Mountain – a famous mountain with a hole in the middle. It takes half an hour to walk up the mountain to the Rocky Gate where you have a fantastic view over the archipelago. Let yourself be transported by the legend of the mountains in Nordland. Once upon a time…and the fairytale continues. Also worth a visit today is Hildurs Urtearium – a luscious and beautiful herb garden and vineyard. Enjoy the evening strolling through the Brønnøysund and along Havnegata, where you can enjoy looking at the small boats and bustling life of the archipelago. Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Brønnøysund.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you will experience a place mentioned on the UNSECO World Heritage list – the island of Vega. Take the express boat (not included) in the morning and spend your day strolling across the island. Vega is an ornithologist’s dream. Chief among the bird population are eider ducks, raised for their feathers – the houses built for them to nest in can still be seen, alongside lighthouses, fishing villages and dramatic landscapes. The island of Vega and its surrounding islands were awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 2004, in recognition of the unique interaction between the eider duck and the island population during the nesting season. The archipelago reflects the way fishermen and farmers have over the past 1,500 years maintained a sustainable living, as well as the contribution of women to eiderdown harvesting. To get more insight into this, we recommend a visit to the local Eider Duck Museum. In the afternoon the express boat will take you back to Brønnøysund.
Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Brønnøysund.
Breakfast at the hotel. Leave the coast and head back North! On the way you will pass the city of Mosjøen – the ‘town in the middle of Norway’. Mosjøen is Helgeland’s oldest town, famous for its music and culture, with numerous concerts and performances held throughout the year. The pride of the town is Sjøgata, the old area that dates back to the 19th century. Sjøgata is an area where history is still alive today. The old 19th century buildings are well preserved, forming a colorful backdrop to the little town’s vibrant urban life. A stroll around this area will reveal architectural gems and beautifully preserved buildings. After a leisurely stroll continue to Mo I Rana, Helgeland’s biggest town, and the fourth largest in Northern Norway. A rich history from trading post to industrial center has colored and shaped the town, which today has a large range of shops, a water park and excellent restaurants.
Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Mo i Rana.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today it is time for the high mountains, when you pass the Saltfjellet- Svartisen Nationalpark. You have already crossed it once and now the Arctic Circle will be on your way again. The Arctic Circle cuts through Nordland and acts as the frontier for the Arctic kingdom of midnight sun and dark months. About 80 kilometers after Mo i Rana you will cross back to the Arctic. You will also pass the Arctic Circle Centre, which has exhibitions, a souvenir shop and cafeteria. The Centre also has its own post office, where all postcards are franked with the Arctic Circle postmark. Continue to Bodø where your trip will end at the same place as it began! Accommodation in a 3-star hotel in Bodø.
- Day 9 Breakfast at the hotel. Time to say Goodbye and deliver your rental car to Bodø Airport.
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Bodø with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Ørnes with breakfast
• 2 nights in a centrally located hotel in Sandnessjøen with breakfast
• 2 nights in a centrally located hotel in Brønnøysund with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Mo i Rana with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Bodø with breakfast
Services that are not included
• Activities mentioned as “can be included”
•Rental car – rates can be offered on request
•Ferry Crossings as follows are to be paid on the spot: Forøy –Åaskgardet, Jektvik – Kilboghamn, Nesna – Levang, Tjøtta-Forvik, Andalsvåg-Horn, Brønnøysund-Rørøy and return.
Helgeland is a less-known destination than Lofoten, but it is equally beautiful with also white sandy beaches and impressive mountains.