Around the Island
TRAVEL PERIOD: 01.09.23 – 31.08.24
Around the Island
On this tour you will drive around the island and discover Iceland’s spectacular nature. Starting in the West, heading North, discovering the East, and spending the last days in the South, you will get to see a lot of this beautiful island. Let Iceland fascinate you! The travel period for this tour is all year but road conditions might be difficult Nov – Mar and we recommend to avoid this period.
- Day 1: Arrival in Reykjavík Accommodation in a centrally located hotel in Reykjavík city center
- Day 2: Reykjavík – Borgarnes Today you will visit the Thingvellir National Park on your way from Reykjavik to Borgarnes. Accommodation in a hotel in Borgarnes
- Day 3: Borgarnes – Akureyri On your way to Akureyri you will be able to see the dwelling place of elves and trolls – the Glanni waterfall on the Norðurá River. Two nights accommodation in a hotel in Akureyri.
- Day 4: Akureyri Enjoy your day at leisure in Akureyri.
- Day 5: Akureyri – Myvatn The day will bring you to Myvatn, a lake in a beautiful area of active volcanism. There you can swim in Myvatn’s Nature Baths, walk around the crater or glaze at the volcanic rock formations. On your way there you should plan a visit to Godafossen, one of the most spectacular waterfalls in Iceland. Accommodation in a hotel in Myvatn.
- Day 6: Myvatn- Neskaupstadur Your journey continues to the east of Iceland today. Neskaupstadur is located directly on the fjord Norðfjörður, with a nature reserve right next to it, where you can see the so-called Easter Cave (Páskahellir). Accommodation in a hotel in Neskaupstadur.
- Day 7: Neskaupstadur – Höfn Continue on Iceland’s East and take the road South to Höfn í Hornafirði. Don’t miss making a stop to see the spectacular Litlanesfoss, or to visit Seydisfjördur with its wooden houses from the 19th century. Accommodation in a hotel in Höfn í Hornafirði.
- Day 8: Höfn – Kirkjubæjarklaustur Use your time today to visit Jökulsarlon, which is considered to be one of the natural wonders of Iceland. The glacier lagoon is situated on the edge of Vatnajökull National Park and offers an incredible view over its luminous blue icebergs. Accommodation in a hotel in Kirkjubæjarklaustur
- Day 9: Kirkjubæjarklaustur – Reykjavík Don’t miss out on the opportunity of seeing the Kirkjugólf basalt columns. On your way back to Reykjavik it is recommended to visit Kerið, a volcanic crater lake. Or end your trip with a relaxing bath in Grindaviks Blue Lagoon Accommodation in a hotel in Reykjavík city center
- Day 10: Departure Departure according to your own itinerary.
• 2 nights in a centrally located hotel in Reykjavík with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Borgarnes with breakfast
• 2 nights in a centrally located hotel in Akureyri with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Myvatn with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Neskaupstadur with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Höfn with breakfast
• 1 night in a centrally located hotel in Kirkjubæjarklaustur with breakfast
Services that are not included
• Rental car – rated can be offered on request
• Entrances to the museums described in the itinerary
On your way along the east coast we do recommend a detour to Borgarfjörður eystri, a small village with 100 inhabitants, which is home to two kinds of lovely creatures that are in our hearts – more then 1000 elves and about 10000 pairs of puffins.