Icebergs in the Midnight Sun
TRAVEL PERIOD: Summer
Icebergs in the Midnight Sun
Fly in from Iceland and visit the huge icebergs in Greenland found in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ilulissat Icefjord in the Disko Bay. Enjoy whale watching, sailing, and hiking near icebergs under the midnight sun. You will find the most productive glacier in the northern hemisphere in the Ilulissat Icefjord. It produces up to 40 million tonnes of ice a day. The rugged beauty of the many thousands of icebergs that sail out into Disko Bay welcomes you to the wonderful world of the Arctic.
- Day 1: From Iceland to Greenland Fly directly from Keflavík International Airport to Ilulissat. You are picked up at the airport and taken to your hotel in Ilulissat. The flight is in itself an adventure as you cruise at low altitude over the Inland Ice Cap as you prepare for landing in Ilulissat. In the afternoon you will go on a Hike to the Ice Fjord and the abandoned Sermermiut settlement. Beautiful icebergs provide the setting for the old settlement of Sermermiut, 1.5 kilometers south of Ilulissat. For 4,000 years, different Inuit cultures lived in the settlement and, today, you can still see the remains, which indicate their former presence. Hear the story about the life of the Inuit people and their traditions before the Europeans came to Greenland. See the ruins and touch the permafrost In the evening welcome dinner is served at your hotel.
- Day 2: Whale Watching After a hearty breakfast your first adventure awaits, and you will join a whale watching tour by boat which is a great experience to get really close to large animals like whales. Later, it is time to get ready for the next excursion. A sailing tour amongst the icebergs under the midnight sun. Every day, more than 40 million tonnes of ice flow out into the fjord. The floating icebergs are gigantic, sometimes wider than 100 meters and with a height up to 100 meters above the water surface as well. Taking the boat trip on a bright night is an extraordinary experience. Remember to bring warm clothes – otherwise, sealskin clothing is available for rent.
- Day 3: Eqi Glacier Today another highlight awaits you. Go on a day tour by boat to Eqi Glacier. Only a few places in Greenland are as beautiful as the Eqi Glacier, which runs into the fjord 80 kilometers north of Ilulissat. It is possible to get very close to the glacier by boat and experience huge pieces of ice breaking off. The sounds are thunderous, and the sight of chunks of ice crashing into the water is astonishing. You sail in modern, comfortable boats which are reinforced for sailing in icy waters. You will remain in front of the glacier for approximately 2 hours and wait for the ice to calve. Meanwhile, a delicious lunch will be served. Again, remember to bring warm clothes – otherwise, sealskin clothing is available for rent. Farewell dinner is served at the hotel.
- Day 4: Departure After breakfast, it’s time to say goodbye. Having spent some memorable days in this Arctic paradise, it is time for you to fly back to Keflavík International Airport.
• 3 x night in Ilulissat in twin rooms with private facilities
• 3 x Breakfast buffet
• Welcome dinner on the first day (excl. beverages)
• Farewell dinner on the last night (excl. beverages)
Transport & Transfers
• Return flights Keflavík International Airport – Ilulissat incl. all flight/transportation taxes and fees known at the time of publishing & 20 kg of checked baggage and 8 kg of cabin baggage
• Transfers from airport to hotel (return)
• 1x Hike to Sermermiut by Ilulissat Icefjord
• 1 x Whale safari
• 1 x Midnight sailing at Ilulissat Icefjord
• 1 x Day cruise to the Eqi glacier